In June 2020, DSME has once again renewed his trust into ECA GROUP expertise by awarding a new contract to supply the Steering and Diving Consoles for the 1st submarine of South Korean’s programme JANGBOGO III – Batch II Class. The equipment will be delivered by 2023 and operational tests will be completed by 2027.
ECA GROUP, a reliable partner within the JANGBOGO III programme
The South Korean Navy’s JANGBOGO III submarine project began in 2014. ECA GROUP was chosen to deliver the Steering and Diving Consoles (SNDC). In the past 5 years, ECA GROUP has been chosen for the third consecutive time to supply further submarine steering and diving consoles for this navy.
ECA GROUP intends to maintain its efforts to satisfy the South Korean Navy by providing them with best quality equipment while meeting their operational requirements.
ECA GROUP simulation expertise also brought to the project
After the latest SNDC delivery in 2019, ECA GROUP was also entrusted the supply of 2 Steering and Diving Simulators of delivered SNDC equipment for training purposes for South Korean officers and operators.
The SNDC simulators will enable the South Korean Navy to:
- Train their submariners for Jangbogo III – Batch 1 Steering and Diving Consoles, thanks to an effective system recreating accurately the equipment’s behaviour as in real underwater conditions
- Train their maintenance crews. By reproducing possible breakdowns, operators will learn how to fix them effectively without damaging the SNDCs onboard.
ECA GROUP team has successfully carried out the Factory Acceptance Test demonstrating the capability of these simulators to operate exactly like the Steering Consoles installed onboard submarines. Should other submarines be built as part of this programme, ECA GROUP will put its know-how and experience at the service of this navy.
About KSS-III / JANGBOGO III / Dosan Ahn Changho-class submarine
KSS-III are diesel-electric submarines currently under construction by DSME. Nine were ordered and the construction has begun in 2016. The first of the class is launched in 2018 and started its seat trials from DSME Opko shipyard on June 10, 2019. The 3000 tons KSS-III Submarine ‘Dosan Ahn Chang-ho’ passes max depth test on August 22, 2019. In early summer 2019, ECA GROUP successfully passed the Factory Acceptance Test of the 3rd steering and diving console for the KSS III – batch I Submarine.
For the record, DSME received a contract from the South Korean Ministry of Defense worth $ 1.56 billion to build two large conventional/diesel electric (SSK) KSS III Batch I submarines on December 26, 2012. Then, on November 30, 2016, Hyundai Heavy Industries received a contract to build another boat of the first batch. Delivery of all three boats is scheduled for the end of 2023. In total, the plan is to introduce into the RoK Navy fleet nine KSS III submarines by 2029: including three ships of the second and third series each.
- Batch-I consists in the first two hulls to be built by DSME and the third submarine to be built by HHI.
- Batch-II will consist in three hulls with some design changes. They will be fitted with a greater level of South Korean technology. In May 2016, DAPA selected DSME for “KSS-III Batch-II Design and construction of the first hull”.
- Batch-III will consists in the three remaining hulls with more advanced technologies