Click here - to select or create a menu

Naval News

Aselsan
  • News
  • Event News
    • Sea Air Space 2024
    • DIMDEX 2024
    • WDS 2024
    • SNA 2024
    • Indo Pacific 2023
    • DSEI 2023
    • IDEF 2023
    • MADEX 2023
    • CNE 2023
    • IMDEX Asia 2023
  • Interviews
  • Videos
  • CavasShips
  • Advertising
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Home» News»Several New Major Incidents in the Red Sea
Sea Air Space 2024
HMS Diamond Aster Sea Viper Yemen Drone
Photo of HMS Diamond firing it's Sea Viper missile to engage and shoot down an aerial drone over the Red Sea today (16/12/2023). UK MOD © Crown copyright 2023

Several New Major Incidents in the Red Sea

Several new major developments occurred today and yesterday in the Red Sea. A Royal Navy destroyer engaged a drone, a US Navy destroyer intercepted a swarm of 14 UAV while yesterday, a container ship was hit by a ballistic missile launched by the Houthis in Yemen.

Xavier Vavasseur 16 Dec 2023

This story was updated with important details regarding the “wave of drones” attack and the ballistic missile attack. See the bottom of the page.

Royal Navy Type 45 Destroyer Intercepts Drone

Royal Navy Daring-class (Type 45) destroyer HMS Diamond (D34) successfully engaged and shot down an aerial system suspected to have been a one way attack drone, that appears to have originated from Houthi controlled territory in Yemen.

British defence minister Grant Shapps said on X:

“Overnight, HMS Diamond shot down a suspected attack drone which was targeting merchant shipping in the Red Sea. One Sea Viper missile was fired and successfully destroyed the target.

The ship recently arrived in the region to bolster international efforts to maintain maritime security. The recent spate of illegal attacks represent a direct threat to international commerce and maritime security in the Red Sea. The UK remains committed to repelling these attacks to protect the free flow of global trade.”

The Royal Navy’s First Sea Lord said on the same social media:

“A sixth of the world’s commercial shipping passes through the Bab-al-Mandeb and Red Sea. The RN is committed to upholding the right to free use of the oceans and we do not tolerate indiscriminate threats or attacks against those going about their lawful business on the high seas.”

This marked the first Anti-Air engagement of a Royal Navy vessel since the first Gulf War.

Naval News reported two days ago that the UK was sending a Royal Navy (RN) Type 45 destroyer to support the multinational naval presence protecting merchant shipping in the southern Red Sea off the coast of Yemen. The information was revealed by the UK’s Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Admiral Sir Tony Radakin on 13 December.

US Navy Destroyer Fends Off Swarm of 14 Drones

US Navy Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) intercepted a swarm of 14 UAVs launched from Yemen. The same destroyer previously intercepted 22 targets over the past two weeks.

CENTCOM statement issued today reads:

In the early morning hours of December 16 (Sanna time) the US Arliegh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS CARNEY (DDG 64), operating in the Red Sea, successfully engaged 14 unmanned aerial systems launched as a drone wave from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen. The UAS were assessed to be one-way attack drones and were shot down with no damage to ships in the area or reported injuries. Regional Red Sea partners were alerted to the threat.

Houthis hits container ship with ballistic missile

U.S. Central Command announced yesterday that a container ship was hit by Houthi ballistic missile.

CENTCOM statement issued Dec. 15 reads:

Then, at approximately 1300, Dec. 15 (Sanaa time), Houthi forces launched two ballistic missiles towards the international shipping lanes in the Bab el-Mandeb strait. One of these missiles struck the Liberian flagged MV PALATIUM 3, which broadcast a mayday call and reported that the vessel was on fire. The USS MASON has responded to that request. The other missile likely missed any ships.

Importance of Red Sea and Bab El Manbeb strait

The situation in the Red Sea and Bab El Mandeb strait is evolving on a day to day basis. Three warships have already been involved in responding to these attacks – the US Navy (USN) DDG 51 Arleigh Burke-class destroyers USS Carney and USS Mason, and the French Navy Aquitaine-class FREMM frigate FS Languedoc. The area is of strategic importance as about 25,000 commercial vessels (container ships, bulk carriers and tankers) transit the strait, connecting Asia to Europe.

Damien Symon, an OSINT and map expert said on social media X:

“Amidst the maritime chaos unfolding in the Red Sea, here is a simple graphic detailing recent incidents in Bab-el-Mandeb region, this visual encapsulates current challenges faced by one of the globe’s busiest shipping” routes

Red Sea

Two major shipping companies, Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd, announced yesterday they were stopping their Red Sea transit following the surge of attacks.

French company CMA CGM announced tonight they are suspending their Red Sea transit as well.

Update

A military source with knowledge of the operational situation in the Red Sea told Naval News on the condition of anonymity:

  • The drone wave attack which USS Carney repelled wasn’t a swarm. Houthi attacks are typically salvos of 15 to 20 UAVs over a two hours period. This does not constitute a swarm. In addition, to be considered a swarm, the drones would usually need to communicate with each other (or at least, they would need to attack their target in a coordinated fashion) which is not the case in the Red Sea.
  • The ballistic missile attacks do not involve relatively advanced Anti-Ship Ballistic Missiles (ASBM) such as the Aasif / Khalij Farsi series (an anti-ship version of the Fateh-110) but rather unguided Short Range Ballistic Missile (SRBM). In order to successfully hit large commercial vessels, the Houthis typically proceed following three steps:
    1- They stop the vessel (by threatening it over the radio or by targeting it with missiles or drones)
    2- Once the vessel is stopped or moving at slow speed, they get its coordinates via a spotting UAV
    3- They then launch the SRBM at the vessel using fixed coordinates (as they would against a fixed, land-based target)

However, as a vessel is constantly drifting at sea, this way of targeting ships at sea is usually ineffective.

Red Sea Royal Navy US Navy 2023-12-16
Tags Red Sea Royal Navy US Navy
Facebook Twitter Stumble linkedin Pinterest More
DSA 2024

Authors

Posted by : Xavier Vavasseur
Xavier is based in Paris, France. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems and a Master of Business Administration from Florida Institute of Technology (FIT). Xavier has been covering naval defense topics for nearly a decade.

Related Articles

UK RFA Ships to Undergo Repairs in India for the First Time

UK RFA Ships to Undergo Repairs in India for the First Time

Naval News Staff 28 Mar 2024
In a significant development emphasising the ties between United Kingdom and India, Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) ships RFA Argus and RFA Lyme Bay...
U.S. and India Hold Largest Combined Amphibious Exercise to Date

U.S. and India Hold Largest Combined Amphibious Exercise to Date

Aaron-Matthew Lariosa 27 Mar 2024
U.S. and Indian forces are in the final phase of their largest amphibious exercise to date as the two countries strengthen defense ties.
US Navy Unfunded Priorities List Focuses on Infrastructure

US Navy Unfunded Priorities List Focuses on Infrastructure

Zach Abdi 26 Mar 2024
The US Navy’s unfunded priorities list for Fiscal Year 2025 places heavy focus on Submarine Industrial Base and Infrastructure Investments

Advertisement

Advertisement

Legal / Privacy Policy
About Us
Contact Us

Copyright © 2023 Naval News
All Rights Reserved