Navantia and the Spanish Ministry of Defense have signed the contract for the construction of five F-110 frigates for the Spanish Navy in April 2019.
F-110 frigates are set to replace the Spanish Navy’s Santa Maria-class frigates which have been in service for over 30 years. F-110 frigates will be fitted with the Aegis combat system integrating a new solid-state S-band radar by Indra. Lockheed Martin and Indra have been collaborating since 2009 to develop a state-of-the-art S-band solid state radar for Spain’s F-110 Frigate Program.
Known as the Bonifaz-class, these frigates will feature:
- A sonar suite by Thales (BlueMaster UMS 4110 and CAPTAS 4 Compact sonars, the TUUM-6 underwater communication system, and the BlueScan digital acoustic system)
- The SCOMBA combat system by Navantia
- The S-band variant of Lockheed Martin’s SPY-7 radar
- Leonardo 127mm 127/64 LW main gun
- Raytheon’s Evolved SeaSparrow Missile (ESSM) Block 2 missile
- Rohde & Schwarz external communications systems
- GMV’ SENDA navigation system
- Propeller systems by Kongsberg Maritime
Indra systems aboard F-110
Indra leads the development within the F110 Program of some of several advanced sensors. In addition to the tiles for the S-band radar, Indra is developing:
- The 25X Prisma Radar: whose mission is surveillance of the surface and low-altitude aerial targets.
- The IFF System: which will identify allied from enemy aircraft and will have an integrated ADS-B surveillance system that will give support to air control in international missions.
- Electronic defence systems: which will track the communications band and the radar band. They will detect and identify any vessel, submarine or nearby aerial or land platform, allowing the ship to circumvent multiple threats simultaneously
- IRST i110: which will provide protection capacity against sea-skimming missiles or swarms of vessels, which typically attempt to impact the waterline of ships. It is a system on which Indra is working in conjunction with Tecnobit.
Displacement: 6100 tons
Length 145 m
Width 18 m
Draft 5 m
Speed 35 knots
Crew 150 sailors
Aviation facilities: Hangar + helideck for 2 NH-90 NFH/TTH or 2 SH-60 or UAV