Damen press release
On September 27, 2022 COTECMAR and Damen signed a contract for the co-development of the Contractual Design for the next generation of frigates for the Colombian Navy. The signing ceremony took place on board of the ARC Almirante Padilla in the Naval Base ARC Bolivar in Cartagena, Colombia.
The design for the program Plataforma Estratégica de Superficie (‘PES’) is based on the proven design of the SIGMA 10514 that was successfully constructed in other non-Damen shipyards. During the contract we will update the design in order to meet the requirements of the end user, the Colombian Navy.
The ambition to further develop the established maritime industry of Colombia fits perfectly in Damen’s strategy to cooperate with local shipyards like COTECMAR. We are proud of the successful cooperation in the ongoing project with COTECMAR for the Maritime Authorities DIMAR and we look forward to continue in this next, important milestone.
“We are grateful for the trust placed in us by the Colombian Navy and COTECMAR.”
– End –
About Damen SIGMA Multi-Mission Frigate 10514
SIGMA is Damen’s Ship Integrated Geometrical Modularity Approach. It is based on the experience gained by building seven generations of surface combatants for, and including feedback from, the Royal Netherlands Navy. The use of modular platform components enables the tailoring of operational characteristics.
The SIGMA 10514 is the most recent and advanced frigate in Damen’s SIGMA family and has been delivered to Indonesia (2 vessels) and Mexico (1 vessel). The smart, modular building strategy developed by Damen facilitated the local construction of the Multi-Mission Frigates in Indonesia (PTPAL) and Mexico (ASTIMAR 20).
According to the company, SIGMA frigates provide major advantages such as decreased detectability by signature reduction measures and due to improved shock resistance, the vessels also ensure higher survivability rates. Deploying Naval Intact and Damaged Stability standards, the vessels offer built-in redundancy in vital systems and they are equipped with a CBRN Enclosed gas-tight citadel.
Key Specifications (Based on Indonesian variant):
- Dimensions: Length o.a. 105.11 m, Beam mld 14.02 m, Draught (dwl) 3.70 m
- Displacement (dwl) 2365 tonnes
- Speed: Economical – 15 kts, Max – 28 kts
- Range: 5000 nautical miles with 14 knots
- Propulsion System: Combined diesel or electric (CODOE), 2 x 10000 kW MCR diesel propulsion,
2 x 1300 kW MCR electric propulsion, 2 x CPP Ø 3.65 m propellers
- Accommodation: 122 persons
- Sensors: 3D-surveillance & target indication radar & IFF, Radar / electro optical fire control, Hull mounted sonar, Combat management system
- Weapons: Medium calibre gun 76 mm, 1 x Close In Weapon System, 2 x 4 SSM launchers, 12 cell SAM launcher, 2 x triple torpedo launching system
- EW: ESM & ECM, 2 x Decoy launchers
Based on the image released by the Colombian MoD, the vessel in Colombian Navy configurations will features:
- A 76mm main gun by Leonardo in its STRALES (guided anti-air ammunitions) variant,
- 16x Mk56 VLS cells (likely for ESSM surface to air missiles)
- A Rheinmetall Millenium CIWS
- 8x Exocet MM40 anti-ship missiles
- An NS100 radar
- 2x Stir 1.2 fire control radars
- A hull mounted sonar