Damen and their local partner Blohm & Voss beat their competitor German Naval Yards, who still has the possibility to protest the decision. The MKS 180 calls for the procurement of four vessels.
The decision of the awarding authority is still subject to parliamentary approval within the framework of the € 25 million bill, which is aimed for in spring 2020.
About MKS 180
The German Navy expects the Multi-purpose Combat Ship 180 (MehrzweckKampfSchiff ) as an “all-rounder”. The future vessel will be fit for a wide range of tasks thanks to its mission modules – with superiority in full fledged naval warfare at the extreme end of the spectrum.
The MKS 180 will be a multi-mission platform. Built-in modules designed for specific military missions will make this possible. These mission modules are at the heart of what “multipurpose combat ship” means in practice.
MKS 180 Missions:
- Self-defense and combat missions
- Creation of a maritime picture above and under water
- Maritime surveillance and embargo control, including VBSS
- Military evacuation in crisis situations
- Escort for merchant ships
- Command of a naval task force
MKS 180 Main Characteristics
- Length: approximately 155 meters at waterline
- Displacement: maximum 9,000 tonnes
- Accommodation: 110 crew, 70 passengers
- Operating endurance: 24 months
- Operating area: worldwide
- Ice class: 1C / E1 for sea areas with ice formation
- Service life: 30 years
Pingback : GERMAN NAVAL YARDS KIEL Submits Application for Review in the MKS 180 Procurement Case - Naval News
Pingback : German Parliament approves the Procurement of Four MKS 180 for 5.6 Billion Euros - Naval News