All four vessels of the Hamina-class are set to overhauled and modernized as part of the Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU) by 2021, bringing new capabilities to the Finnish Navy. Local defense company Patria acts as the prime contractor, designer and the lead system integrator.
According to Patria, the goal of the Mid-Life Upgrade project is to secure the service life of the vessels until 2030’s and to extend the vessels’ independent operation time. The project will also develop the Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and the surface defence capabilities with new features.
Modernization work include:
- A BAE Systems Bofors 40 Mk4 40mm main gun (replacing the 57mm Mk3)
- IAI Gabriel V anti-ship missile
- Saab Torpedo 47
- Saab trackfire remote weapon stations
- Saab 9LV combat management system
- Kongsberg ST2400 variable depth sonar
With this MLU, the Hamina-class will have a fair share of commonality with the future Pohjanmaa-class corvettes of the Finnish navy.